Trapani: trip around culture and nature
Set like a gem of rare beauty, in a scenario that magically manage to mitigate the coexistence of various types of landscapes, Trapani is surrounded like a beautiful artwork by an extraordinary coastline, containing beauty natural, pages of history.
In a coastal span of almost 20 Km is summed up an inventory of natural beauty of rare uniqueness: from the Natural Reserve of Nubia, to the white gold pyramids ( sea salt of Trapani ), passing from the old “ Tonnare “ ( Punta Tipa, San Cusumano, Bonagia ); from the scenic waterfront of the ancient town, dominated by beautiful domes, to walk on the ancient walls of the city.
Dominating the hypothetical median of this ideal path stands the Tower of Ligny, with the 5 towers represented in the emblem of the city.
We wanted enumerate you 10 of the unmissable stages of this extraordinary journey
1) Natural Reserve of Nubia The natural reserve of “ Saline “ of Trapani is a protected area established in 1995. The reserve is an important wetland that offers an indescribable amount of migratory birds. It is managed by WWF Italy.
2) Saline The complex of “ Saline “ ( salt ) of Trapani is one of the most characteristic elements of the whole city; green areas, mills, history, fauna, flora are some of the keywords that characterize this extraordinary and wonderful activities.
3) Port of Trapani The Avenue where is the port of Trapani is a wonderful postcard invitation to the discovery of the resources and beauty of the city. Thanks to te activities of the municipal administration, Trapani in 2003 is been home to one of the most important sailing events of the world: the America’s Cup.
4) Lazzaretto, Villino Nasi and the castle of Colombaia In the long seafront of Trapani, there are elements of the history of the city: the Lazzaretto ( headquarters of the Naval League ), Villino Nasi ( private home of Nunzio Nasi, Minister of the Kingdom of Italy ) and the castle of Colombaia ( medieval fortress of Trapani, located on a small island at the end of the port of Trapani ).
5) Tower of Ligny and the beach Tower of Ligny has been a tower of the Spanish lookout, today considered characteristic element in the map of the city of Trapani. Inside in 1983 it was established the prehistoric museum, now called Museum Tower of Ligny. For the beach its possible access thanks to the existence of the ski systems: at this point it is possible to swim at the sunset, admiring Monte Erice and at the other side the Egadi.
6) Mura and beach of Tramontana The beach “ Mura di Tramontana “ is located beneath the walls of the ancient Trapani.
7) Walk along the walls Very interesting walk along the walls of Trapani. The walk ends in the square of the ex fish market, one of the most important symbolic elements of the city.
8) Beach of San Giuliano The beach coastline is quite extensive: a part of the beach is completely free, while the other is composed of various plants called “ lidi “ that offer various services ( umbrellas, chairs, bar, cabins, etc… )
9) Tonnara of San Cusumano The Tonnara of San Cusumano is an industrial complex formed by the ancient “ Tonnare riunite di San Giuliano Palazzo e San Cusumano “.
10) Beach of Pizzolungo Pizzolungo is a fraction of the town of Erice. It is historically known for being the place where according to legend landed Enea when died his father Anchise.